A workshop to review the transition to practice across the medical training pipeline.
When: Tuesday, 11 September 2018, 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Where: University of Adelaide Health & Medical Sciences Building
Confirmed Guest Speakers
Dr Lynne Raw – Presenting on Transition Pedagogy and Research
Dr Nyoli Valentine – Presenting on Entrustable Professional Activities (EPA) Theory
Dr Josephine Thomas – Presenting on Final year medical program University of Adelaide
Dr Stephen Hedger – Presenting on Final year medical program Flinders University
The South Australian Medical Education and Training Health Advisory Council are exploring the possibility of a pilot program to improve the transition to practice. The pilot program is proposing the testing of a two year transition to practice program that includes the final year of medical school and the first year of employment for medical graduates.
Elements of the pilot program could include:
- The establishment of a tripartite curriculum committee including partners from South Australian universities, SA Health and SA MET. The committee could be responsible for the curriculum development that spans across the two year transition program. The curriculum could incrementally increase the role and responsibilities of trainees.
- Collective implementation of the redesigned curriculum. The tripartite curriculum committee could be responsible for articulating the vision of the transition to practice program. Building trust is going to be important if stakeholders are going to be able to collaborate in this way and this may be achieved by:
- Inviting stakeholders to be a part of a project working group.
- Share research and data that supports learning and teaching approaches.
- The formation of mutual assessments could further support the collective implementation of the redesigned curriculum. The assessments could bridge both years until completion of the transition program when General Registration is granted.
- The establishment of a progression board. The progression board could have oversight of trainee progression and may have the role of addressing under performance.
- The use of E-Portfolios to record and share trainee outcomes between learner and teacher.