The Country Health SA Local Health Network (CHSALHN) oversees the public hospitals and health services in the following regions across rural South Australia:
- Adelaide Hills.
- Eyre Peninsula and Western South Australia.
- Far North.
- Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island.
- Limestone Coast.
- Murray Mallee.
- Yorke and Mid North.
Mount Gambier and Districts Health Service (MGDHS)
Limestone Coast residents have access to a wide range of health care services in a number of locations throughout the region.
Mount Gambier and Districts Health Service is part of the South East Health Services. We provide acute services ranging from in-hospital care by local General Practitioners to specialist surgical, obstetric, paediatric and anaesthetic services delivered by Medical Consultants. Services also include accident and emergency care, day and in-patient surgery, mental health services including an in-patient unit, aboriginal health and community health.
The Mount Gambier Hospital is the major regional health provider for the lower, mid and upper South East Regions with other facilities located nearby in Bordertown, Keith, Kingston, Lucindale, Millicent, Naracoorte and Penola. The catchment area also extends across the border into Western Victoria.
The Mount Gambier Hospital services and facilities include:
- Emergency Department including two resuscitation rooms, fast track treatment areas, multiple treatment bays, an infectious isolation room and a separate paediatric area.
- 37 bed Medical Unit including rehabilitation beds
- 27 bed Surgical Unit.
- 14 bed Level 4 Maternity Unit with 3 birthing suites.
- 2 cot Level 4 neonatal nursery.
- 6 bed Paediatric Unit.
- 6 bed High Dependency Unit.
- 6 bed Mental Health In-patient Unit.
- 11 Day Surgery Chairs.
- 4 Operating Theatres.
- 6 chair Chemotherapy Unit.
- 4 chair Renal Dialysis Unit.
- 12 room outpatient Consulting Suite.
- 2 out-patient procedure rooms.
- Pre–Admission Clinics.
Co–located at the Hospital site are the following services:
- Mount Gambier Private Hospital 17 bed facility.
- Benson Radiology.
- SA Pathology.
- SA Pharmacy.
- South East Regional Community Health Service (now Country Health Connect).
- South Australian Dental Services.
- South East Mental Health Services – inpatient, intermediate care, community based care.
- Drug and Alcohol Services.
- Rehabilitation Service.
- Renal Dialysis Service.
- Aboriginal Health Services – Pangula Mannamurna Aboriginal Corporation (not co-sited but located nearby).
The purpose built Flinders University Rural Clinical School Campus is located adjacent to the hospital. It provides formal teaching sessions which include:
- An orientation to the hospital and to the Rural Clinical School prior to the commencement of the internship.
- A JMO Tutorial Program – held weekly. This program has been developed in collaboration with interns and term supervisors with local General Practitioners and specialists covering core skills requirements.
- A Journal Club held monthly involving a mixed vertically integrated small group learning environment. The program includes discussion of recent journal articles and clinical case presentations, family medicine program articles, clinical reviews and audits.
- Grand Rounds and other training workshops where visiting specialists present up to date clinical information to participants.
- Clinical simulation sessions conducted regularly using a mix of state of the art simulation equipment and standardised patients.
In addition, there are regular teaching rounds for interns and opportunities for case presentations. There is access to online resources at both the hospital and the Flinders University Rural Clinical School.
For eligibility requirements and to apply please visit SA health careers.