Applications for the 2024 (Clinical Year) opened on 8 May 2023 and closed on 8 June 2023.
Visit the Intern Allocation Update page for further information on the current recruitment.
Internship Application Guideline
|2024 (Clinical Year) South Australian Internship Application Guideline – contains key dates, eligibility criteria, allocation and recruitment process, FAQs.||Presentation: Medical Internship in South Australia – 2024 (Clinical Year) Application Process|
About the Internship Year
The intern year marks the transition from student to medical practitioner. It provides the experience of applying the theory to the treatment of patients as a responsible professional. The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra) issues medical graduates with provisional registration to undertake this period of supervised practice.
The intern year involves at least 47 weeks of satisfactory, supervised clinical experience that includes:
- A core term of at least 10 weeks in medicine;
- A core term of at least 10 weeks in surgery;
- A term of at least eight weeks in a core emergency medicine rotation; and
- Non-core rotations which make up the balance of the intern year.
These clinical settings provide opportunities to explore additional areas of medicine and surgery, psychiatry, rehabilitation medicine, palliative care and more.
At the completion of the intern year, the employing hospital is required to certify that the internship has been completed satisfactorily, including details of completed rotations. Ahpra will grant general registration when it receives confirmation that the internship has been satisfactorily completed, along with other requirements.
There are eight training networks in South Australia where you may undertake your intern year. During this year you may request, or be required, to undertake one or more rotations in any of the locations within the networks.
- Information about internship positions in the South Australian Local Health Networks
- Important Dates for the 2024 (Clinical Year) Application process
- 2024 (Clinical Year) Internship Recruitment and Allocation Update
Last updated: July 2023